Monday, February 8, 2010

To write...or not to write...it's not a question


I fell off the wagon. My goal was to write at least five days a week and I only wrote once last week. I've got to get back on the wagon-tonight.

When I get busy the first thing to go is the thing I need to do the most...like exercise or in this case WRITE.

Alcoholics talk about falling off the wagon but I hear in some AA circles you're not supposed to actually say that or acknowledge there is a wagon to fall off. Something about the language and choice of metaphors allows you a "story" to fall back upon instead of taking responsibility for your actions. The idea is basically that if there is no wagon to begin with, there isn't one to fall off of you see.

I get it. But why does it sound so right to say? I had a plan and then I didn't stick to said plan. I'm not beating myself up so don't get the wrong idea. The one thing I didn't take into account when I so aptly subtitled my blog was that there would be times when my schedule wouldn't permit me to write without actually having to stay awake for 48 hours straight. Since I never chose to do that for the sake of publishing text to this blog, I didn't mind when I was faced with three serious deadlines and had nary a spare moment to put fingertip to keyboard.

The most difficult thing about starting and stopping a project is losing momentum. The first month of this journey was exciting because I had to prove to myself that it could be done. Having a week away, or reprioritizing the goal to write among other pressing duties, has made it much harder to get back on the horse (and the wagon)! I feel much like I felt the week that I began writing: slow...wondering what to write...asking where do I begin? So I find myself lamenting about it here to you when maybe I could be touching upon a much more provocative subject.

But the idea is to write; not necessarily what subjects on which I will write. The simple act of exercising my mental acumen for writing and disciplining myself for longer more involved writing projects down the line is what I aim for with Moderation Is Sexy. I figured topics would come later--unfolding like cake batter into a greased 9X13 pan. In other words, after the combining and mixing, finding the actual ideas on which to expound would be the easy part of my task. Unfortunately where I am is almost back at the beginning.

For moderation's sake, let me not linger here too long.

Signing off,

The Sexy Moderate

No comments:

Post a Comment